Friday, April 2, 2010

Self observation through shopping

One of my favorite things to do just about any time is to go "shopping". I put the word shopping in quotes because I rarely need anything to go shopping for, so a lot of my shopping turns out to be my aimless wondering about the store while the person I'm with is off on their own shopping mission.

This evening I went out with my sister-in-law Liz while she went out to try and get her Easter shopping done. I went with, because plain and simple, I've gotten used to getting out of the house two days a week, and since this week is spring break, I'm bordering on going stir crazy. Because I had no point other than getting out, I was left to wonder the store while Liz tried to figure out something to put in her kids baskets, and maybe toss out random ideas if I ran across something that screamed one of her kids to me.

While I spent almost forty dollars, most of it was on other people. This is what I love about "shopping". You can wonder about when you have nothing in mind, and often you will find some really good deals on things that are normally staggeringly priced.

Tonight I happened to find a Barenaked Ladies CD that normally sells for about $15, depending on where you get it, for $1. Buried in the mess of cds/dvds in the Dollar Tree were several copies of this cd. Why or how it made its way there, I don't know, but I gladly snapped it up.

Surfing the isles of the Borders while Liz wondered about Toy's R Us yielded more goodies. After I had satisfied my Manga habit with two new volumes, I happened to find a gift for someone for next Christmas. I'm the type to gift shop all year long, I just have to work better on remembering where I hide things in the meantime though.

The only minuses I can come up with over the whole thing is that I might have spent more money that I really should have. I think I did fairly well on tonight trip. Three of the things were gifts(how I wish I could open the cd I got Linus for his B-day now....what? I'm allowed to like Imagination Movers too), three were only $1(a weak reasoning yes, but still) and as for the Manga, everyone needs a treat now and then. I choose to ignore my mothers voice in my head asking what about the bathing suit she just ordered for me. I claim necessity there.

Now, if I could just turn off the OC part of my personality and tell myself that I don't haaave to make gifts match. Harder said than done, but hey, I did get Linus a cd while I got Tre a book and the rest coloring sets, so halfway there I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment